MSHA reported that on Dec. 14, 2023, a contractor at Beck Street, Salt Lake, Utah, died while delivering parts to the mine when an all-terrain telehandler pulling cable tipped over, striking him.
This is the 40th and final fatality reported in 2023, and the 16th classified as “Machinery.”
MSHA recommends the following best practices to avoid this type of accident:
- Do not exceed the load radius and load limits of lifting equipment.
- Ensure miners position themselves in a safe manner while working around equipment.
- Barricade and sign affected areas in case equipment or loads fail or tip.
- Ensure visitors entering the mine receive site specific hazard awareness training.
- Maintain good communication between co-workers.