MSHA reported that on Sept. 12, a haul truck operator at Cape Sandy #1, Crawford, Ind., died after his haul truck backed through the berm at a dump point and became submerged in a pond.
This is the 32nd fatality reported in 2023, and the eighth classified as “Powered Haulage.”
- MSHA recommends the following best practices to avoid this type of accident:
- Construct substantial berms or similar impeding devices at dumping locations where there is a hazard of overtravel or overturning.
- Do not travel into or onto berms.
- Dump material from a safe location and push the material over the edge with a bulldozer.
- Conduct workplace and ground condition examinations before work begins.
- Mark dump locations with reflectors, signage, or other indicators.