Dec. 15, 2020 – It’s always interesting when people come to me with unique quarry projects. For instance, Southern Industrial Contractors (SIC) was recently awarded a fast-track project for a sawmill located in the southeastern United States. SIC’s scope of work included:
- Opening an onsite quarry for onsite aggregate production.
- Demolition of existing buildings.
- Modifications to existing storm drainage system.
- Removal of approximately 2,000 linear feet of existing rail spur.
- Grading activities required for new site drainage and new roadways.
- Installation of approximately one mile of new concrete roadways.
These new roadway improvements will help ensure that truck and equipment access throughout the sawmill is maintained regardless of adverse weather. SIC utilized the owner’s existing property around the sawmill to develop an onsite quarry. SIC used a KPI-JCI track-mounted impact crusher onsite in order to produce the gradation required for the stone sub-base from the quarried material. This approach allowed the owner to realize significant cost savings as well as time savings.