The U.S. Department of Labor’s Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) will hold six public stakeholder meetings and a webinar on the Agency’s Request for Information (RFI) on Safety Improvement Technologies for Mobile Equipment at Surface Mines, and for Belt Conveyors at Surface and Underground Mines. The RFI was published in the Federal Register on June 26.
Mobile equipment at surface operations includes bulldozers, front-end loaders and trucks, while belt conveyors are used to transport materials in surface and underground mines. The RFI is part of a larger initiative that MSHA is undertaking to reduce accidents involving powered haulage – which includes haul trucks, front-end loaders and other large vehicles – as well as belt conveyors.
In addition to soliciting data from stakeholders on technology and practices that can improve safety conditions for miners, MSHA will provide technical assistance and develop best practices and training materials to raise awareness of hazards related to mobile equipment and belt conveyors.
The meeting dates and locations are as follows:
- Aug. 7, 9 a.m. (Central time), Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, 2101 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N, Birmingham, Ala., 35203, 205-324-5000.
- Aug. 9, 9 a.m. (Central time), DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Dallas-Market Center, 2015 Market Center Blvd., Dallas, 75207, 214-741-7481.
- Aug. 16, 11 a.m. (Eastern time), Webinar, 202-693-9440.
- Aug. 21, 9 a.m. (Pacific time), Renaissance Reno Downtown Hotel, One South Lake St., Reno, Nev., 89501, 775-682-3900.
- Sept. 11, 9 a.m. (Eastern time), National Mine Health and Safety Academy, 1301 Airport Rd., Beckley, W.Va., 25813 (Auditorium), 304-256-3100.
- Sept. 20, 9 a.m. (Eastern time), Hilton Albany, 40 Lodge Street, Albany, N.Y., 12207, 518-462-6611
- Sept. 25, 9 a.m. (Eastern time), Mine Safety and Health Administration (Headquarters), 201 12th St. S, 4E401, Arlington, Va., 22202, 202-693-9440.