Komatsu America Corp. introduced its new WA480-8 wheel loader. Equipped with an EPA Tier 4 Final certified emissions regulations-compliant engine, this latest addition to the wheel loader family combines higher production with lower fuel costs, improved operator comfort and enhanced serviceability.
New operator-friendly design features include the optional advanced joystick steering system (AJSS), which eliminates the steering wheel, and with it, a major cause of operator fatigue. Also, the new “generous curves” bucket design fills and retains material better, making the machine nearly eight percent more productive than the previous model.
“The WA480-8 is the perfect tool for quarry, infrastructure and non-residential construction applications,” said Craig McGinnis, product marketing manager, Komatsu America. “It’s the perfect three-pass loader for on-highway trucks and hoppers.”
Standard features of the WA480-8 include:
• A powerful 299 hp, 11.04 L, EPA Tier 4 Final certified, SAA6D125E-7 engine uses up to 20 percent less fuel than its Tier 3 predecessor.
• Nearly 20 years of leadership in emissions technology enabled Komatsu designers to create an engine that reduces Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) by more than 80 percent, from the Tier 3 model.
• Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) and other after treatment components are designed in conjunction with the engine for efficiency and long life.
• More than 95 percent of KDPF regeneration is performed passively, with no action required of the operator and no interference with machine operation.
• Komatsu’s SmartLoader Logic, combined with the lockup torque converter that activates in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, provides optimal engine torque for improved acceleration, hill-climbing ability, a higher top speed and fuel savings.
New in-cab enhancements/features include:
• Advanced Joystick Steering System (AJSS) eliminates the steering wheel for improved forward visibility and operator comfort while allowing the machine to operate at full speed.
• Integrated load meter system displays data directly to the machine’s main monitor and remotely via KOMTRAX. Load sub-total and cancel functions available via buttons integrated into the machine work levers. Load meter is only available on two-lever, two-valve machine configurations.
• An optional printer allows operators to print bucket and truck weights based on load meter data.
• Air-suspension, high-back, heated seat softens machine vibrations for operator comfort, while cast frame structure increases strength
• Seat-mounted electronic pilot control levers with F-N-R switch for operator ergonomics and convenience.
• Latest version of pioneering KOMTRAX telematics system and monitor that provides key machine metrics, including KDPF status and DEF-level data, fuel consumption, plus performance information collected and sorted by operator ID.
• Komatsu Auto Idle Shutdown to reduce idle time and save fuel.
• Auxiliary jack and two 12-volt ports.
• 7-in., full-color, high-resolution monitor with Ecology Guidance.
• Separate, full-color, rearview monitor comes standard.