The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) reported the ninth fatality of 2017 in the metal/nonmetal sector. The Fall of Material incident happened at Argos USA’s Roberta cement plant in Alabama.
As of this date in 2016, there were 13 fatalities reported in metal/nonmetal mining. This is the third Fall of Material fatality in 2017. There was one Fall of Material fatality in the same period in 2016.
On Sept. 20, a contractor was fatally injured while rappelling within a conditioning tower. The victim was examining the inside of a 300-ft. vertical conditioning tower when an object fell from above and struck him in the head.
The victim was conscious and transported to a local hospital where he died of his injuries the next day.
MSHA recommends the following best practices to avoid this type of accident.
- Remove all loose materials and other hazards before working.
- Have fall protection and available and ready for use.
- Check bin atmosphere for oxygen content, combustible gases and toxic contaminants.
- Provide adequate lighting.
- Be sure the person entering the bin is trained in safe entry and confined space procedures.
- Have standby personnel available to observe and to assist in an emergency.