MSHA is reporting that since 2018, there have been seven fatalities involving miners operating personnel carriers. These accidents could have been prevented if mine operators:
- Had adequate procedures in place to ensure safe travel of personnel carriers.
- Maintained braking systems.
- Trained miners on the safe operation of personnel carriers.
MSHA recommends the following best practices to avoid this type of accident:
- Maintain steering and braking components.
- Conduct adequate pre-operational inspections of mobile equipment. Correct any defects affecting safety before operating mobile equipment.
- Tag out and remove equipment from service when defects affecting safety are found that cannot be corrected.
- Maintain roadways free of debris, excessive water, mud, and other conditions that impact an equipment operator’s ability to control mobile equipment.
- Operate mobile equipment at speeds that are consistent with the type of equipment, roadway conditions, grades, clearances, visibility.
- Task train miners on personnel carrier safety.