The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) reported that on Aug. 3, a miner at Bridgeport Stone Plant, Wise County, Texas, was run over by a customer tractor-trailer while walking to his normal work area.
This is the 23rd fatality reported in 2021, and the ninth classified as “Powered Haulage.”
MSHA recommends the following best practices to avoid this type of accident:
- Assure adequate illumination sufficient to provide safe working conditions.
- Communicate with mobile equipment operators and make eye contact to ensure they acknowledge your presence. Be aware of the location and traffic patterns of mobile equipment in your work area.
- Wear high visibility clothing when working around mobile equipment.
- Wear strobe lights near mobile equipment.
- Assure traffic controls provide for safe movement of mobile equipment and are followed. Operate mobile equipment at reduced speeds in work areas.
- Stay clear of normal paths of travel for mobile equipment and train all persons to recognize workplace hazards.