Sept. 9, 2014 – In September 1899, the Ohio-based Akron White Sand & Stone Co., managed by Champ N. Belden, assigned a small crew of men to work in the company’s quarry off Portage Path near the Northern Ohio Railroad tracks. Incorporated in 1891, the business only recently had resumed operations after suffering a devastating fire in 1893 and falling into receivership in 1895. From its quarry outside city limits, the company mined sandstone to grind into pure silica for use in glass, iron and steel works. What that work crew found while excavating a bluff astounded the local community. Read about it here.