SME Honors K-12 Alliances and Partners
- Published: Monday, 21 October 2013 15:51
The Minerals Education Coalition (MEC) is the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) Foundation’s program designated to generate an enlightened and supportive public that appreciates the importance of mining and minerals in their lives and their lifestyles. MEC annually recognizes outstanding individuals and organizations that have significantly aided in its activities and programs.
“The Minerals Education Coalition Committee extends its sincere appreciation to the winners of the MEC awards for 2013. These groups and individuals have demonstrated commitment and exemplified excellence in the delivery of K-12 education and public awareness, supporting the mission of MEC,” stated Michael Sheahan, president & CEO of Front Range Aggregates, chair of the Minerals Education Coalition Committee.
SME announced the 2013 MEC award recipients:
- MEC Leadership Award: Julie Lucas, SME Minnesota Section. Honors an individual SME member who has provided leadership to advance the mission of the MEC and has personally been involved in the delivery of its programs and/or activities.
- MEC SME Organization Recognition Award: SME Minnesota Section. Pays tribute to an SME group effort that has demonstrated active involvement with the MEC’s efforts, either through the development and use of educational materials with K-12 teachers and students, or public outreach and awareness about mining and minerals.
- MEC SME Student Chapter Award: University of Arizona. Recognizes the outstanding efforts of an SME Student Chapter on a college campus and its faculty and industry advisors for its accomplishments in community outreach and mining and minerals education to serve the mission of the MEC.
- MEC Partnership Appreciation Award: Women in Mining Education Foundation. Acknowledges a non-SME individual or organization that has exemplified support for MEC’s mission, either through the development and use of educational materials with K-12 teachers and students, or public outreach and awareness about mining and minerals.
The 2013 MEC award recipients will be recognized at the SME Foundation Dinner on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014, and the awards will be formally presented at the SME Awards Dinner on Wednesday, Feb. 26 during the SME Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City. The awardees will receive a plaque or a certificate, and a monetary gift intended to help sustain their involvement in minerals and mining education outreach.