Concentra, a health and wellness company with 312 urgent care and occupational medicine centers in more than 40 states, reminds quarry workers that back injuries can be prevented.
Six leading causes of back injury:
- Traumatic events.
- Poor posture.
- Poor physical condition.
- Improper body mechanics.
- Lifting awkward objects.
- Assuming awkward positions.
Safe lifting techniques and body mechanics:
- Plan your lift mentally before you do it physically.
- Test the object’s weight before lifting it. If you will need to carry the object any distance, check that you have a clear walking path.
- Ask for assistance from a co-worker when appropriate.
- Use the stronger leg muscles by bending the knees, not the back.
- Support the back by maintaining “core” strength with the abdominal muscles.
- Maintain a neutral lumbar spinal curve.
- Keep the object close to the body.
- Avoid twisting and bending.
- Avoid rapid, jerky movements.
- Maintain good balance by keeping the feet apart approximately shoulder width
- Remember to breathe.
Other keys to a healthy back:
- Remember that exercise is the best way to prevent back pain and back injury.
- Change positions frequently to avoid prolonged and awkward postures.
- Take time to think about your work tasks and determine if there is a better, safer way of doing them with less risk.
- Warm up and stretch prior to heavy physical exertion.
- Regular exercise is the best way to avoid problems with your back, and is the key to recovery from simple strains, aches and pains you might experience.
- If you do encounter back pain, maintain normal activity as much as possible, even when in pain, and avoid bed rest.