The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) reported that on Dec. 15, 2020, a miner at Fords Branch Mine 1, Pike, Ky., was fatally injured while changing the rear tire on a front-end loader.
The victim was underneath the front-end loader when it fell. This was the 29th fatality reported in 2020, and the ninth classified as “Machinery.”
MSHA recommends the following best practices to avoid this type of accident:
- Securely block raised equipment to prevent movement.
- Do not rely solely on hydraulic jacks.
- Perform equipment maintenance requiring lifting or raising equipment on a level and solid ground.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for changing tires.
- Establish safe operating procedures for all work.
- Ensure all workers are trained in safe operating procedures.