The National Mining Association (NMA) honored 20 American mining operations – six coal mines and 14 mineral/metal mines – for their safety performance in 2017.
The Sentinels of Safety Award recognizes coal and mineral mining operations in 10 categories for recording the most hours in a calendar year without a single lost-time injury. A minimum of 4,000 hours is required for award consideration.
“Safety is the prism through which our industry views every issue. Whether a company is opening a new mine, has a longstanding operation, or is incorporating new technologies, today’s mining industry leaders are always exploring ways to keep miners safe today, and improve for tomorrow,” said Hal Quinn, NMA president and CEO. “Through these awards, we acknowledge outstanding accomplishments in safety and hope that these companies’ achievements can serve as a model for others in industry.”
Recipients include the following:
- Underground Coal: Bull Mountains Mine No. 1 – Signal Peak Energy LLC.
- Quarry: Drake Quarry – Drake Cement LLC.
- Underground Metal: Exodus – Newmont USA Limited (NMA member).
- Open Pit: Genesis – Newmont USA Limited (NMA member).
- Metal/Nonmetal Mill: Grand Saline Operations – Morton Salt (NMA member).
- Coal Processing Facility: Kayenta Mine – Peabody Western Coal Co. (NMA member).
- Underground Nonmetal: Kerford Limestone – Kerford Limestone Co.
- Surface Coal: Kosse Strip – Luminant (NMA member).
- Dredge: Samsund LLC – Samsund LLC.
- Bank or Pit: Santosh DBA – CalPortland Co.
- Underground Metal: Buckhorn Mine – Crown Resources Corp. (NMA Member).
- Underground Nonmetal: Burning Springs Mine – Martin Marietta Materials Inc.
- Metal/ Nonmetal Mill: Columbus Quarry LLC – Columbus Quarry LLC.
- Underground Coal: Cooper Ridge Deep Mine – Kopper Glo Mining LLC.
- Bank or Pit: CR5 – Oldcastle SW Group Inc.
- Dredge: Danz – Peoria Concrete Construction Co.
- Coal Processing Facility: Holden No 22 Preparation Plant – Arch Coal Inc. (NMA member).
- Open Pit: Materion Natural Resources – Materion Natural Resources (NMA member).
- Quarry: SBM Materials – SBM Materials.
- Surface Coal: Solomon Run – Elk Resources Inc.