The National Stone, Sand and Gravel Association (NSSGA) announced the recipients of its 2018 Environmental Excellence Awards.
“We are glad to recognize operations from around the country that go above and beyond to demonstrate their commitment to sustainable environmental practices,” said Michael W. Johnson, NSSGA president and CEO. “These operations prove that quarries are true assets to their communities.”
NSSGA’s annual awards program recognizes aggregates operations throughout the United States for their extraordinary commitment to safety, their continuing performance of safe environmental practices and educating others about the industry. These operations were recognized during NSSGA’s Legislative & Policy Forum, Sept. 25-27, in Washington, D.C.
Gold Award Recipients
These awards provide national recognition for NSSGA producer member’s operations actively contributing to the maintenance of the environment in and around their operations as evidenced by a corporate commitment to the exemplary use of environmental controls and systems.
This award is based, in part, on the extent to which an operation meets and exceeds technical environmental and regulatory requirements. It is not based on aesthetic or beautification criteria. Any active NSSGA producer member operation is eligible for the award.
This operation must certify it is in compliance with all applicable governmental environmental regulatory requirements and does not have a pattern of violations during the time period of two full years prior to the date of application.
Two Stars of Excellence Award
Lake Wales Sand Mine earned a Two Star of Excellence Award this year. This prestigious distinction recognizes operations that have received Gold Awards in both Environmental and Community Relations Excellence within five years. The Florida-based Cemex operation previously received a Community Relations Gold Award in 2017.
- 474 Sand Mine, Cemex, Orlando, Gold.
- Charmian Plant, Specialty Granules LLC, Blue Ridge Summit, Pa., Gold.
- Churchville Quarry, Martin Marietta, Cockeysville, Md., Gold.
- Federal Quarry, Lehigh Hanson, McCook, Ill., Gold.
- Honey Island Sand & Gravel, LafargeHolcim, Pearl River, La., Gold.
- Kremlin Plant, Specialty Granules LLC, Pembine, Wis., Gold.
- Lake Wales Sand Mine, Cemex, Polk Co., Fla., Gold.
- Manteno Quarry, Vulcan Construction Materials, Naperville, Ill., Gold.
- Presque Isle Quarry, LafargeHolcim, Presque Isle, Mich., Gold.
- Tilcon Mt. Hope Quarry, CRH Americas Materials, Parsippany, N.J., Gold.