Komatsu America Corp. introduced its new WA480-8 Wheel Loader. Equipped with an EPA Tier 4 Final certified emissions regulations-compliant engine, this latest addition to the wheel loader family combines higher production with lower fuel costs, improved operator comfort and enhanced serviceability.
New operator-friendly design features include the optional advanced joystick steering system (AJSS), which eliminates the steering wheel, and with it, a major cause of operator fatigue. Also, the new “generous curves” bucket design fills and retains material better, making the machine nearly 8 percent more productive than the previous model.
“The WA480-8 is the perfect tool for quarry, infrastructure and non-residential construction applications,” said Craig McGinnis, product marketing manager, Komatsu America. “It’s the perfect three-pass loader for on-highway trucks and hoppers,” McGinnis said.
Standard features of the WA480-8 include:
- A powerful 299-hp, 11.04-L, EPA Tier 4 Final certified, SAA6D125E-7 engine uses up to 20 percent less fuel than its Tier 3 predecessor.
- Nearly 20 years of leadership in emissions technology enabled Komatsu designers to create an engine that reduces Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) by more than 80 percent, from the Tier 3 model.
- Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) and other after treatment components are designed in conjunction with the engine for efficiency and long life.
- More than 95 percent of KDPF regeneration is performed passively, with no action required of the operator and no interference with machine operation.
- Komatsu’s SmartLoader Logic, combined with the lockup torque converter that activates in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, provides optimal engine torque for improved acceleration, hill-climbing ability, a higher top speed and fuel savings.
New in-cab enhancements/features include:
- Advanced Joystick Steering System (AJSS) eliminates the steering wheel for improved forward visibility and operator comfort while allowing the machine to operate at full speed.
- Integrated load meter system displays data directly to the machine’s main monitor and remotely via KOMTRAX. Load sub-total and cancel functions available via buttons integrated into the machine work levers. Load meter is only available on two-lever, two-valve machine configurations.
- An optional printer allows operators to print bucket and truck weights based on load meter data.
- Air-suspension, high-back, heated seat softens machine vibrations for operator comfort, while cast frame structure increases strength.
- Seat-mounted electronic pilot control levers with F-N-R switch for operator ergonomics and convenience.
- Latest version of pioneering KOMTRAX telematics system and monitor that provides key machine metrics, including KDPF status and DEF-level data, fuel consumption, plus performance information collected and sorted by operator ID.
- Komatsu Auto Idle Shutdown to reduce idle time and save fuel
- Auxiliary jack and two 12-volt ports.
- Seven-inch, full color, high resolution monitor with Ecology Guidance.
- Separate, full color, rearview monitor comes standard.
Komatsu America Corp., www.komatsuamerica.com