Komatsu introduced the new HD325-8 and HD405-8 off-highway trucks. Equipped with an EPA Tier 4 Final certified engine, they feature increased horsepower and a new Komatsu Traction Control System (KTCS) to achieve improved productivity. Payload capacities are 40.3 U.S. (short)/36.5 metric tons and 44.1 U.S. (short)/40 metric tons, respectively. They replace the HD325-7 and HD405-7 models.
The new trucks’ Komatsu SAA6D140E-7 engines have increased to a net 514 hp (383 kW). Fuel consumption is down for the HD325-8 by as much as 9 percent, and by as much as 6 percent for the HD405-8, compared to predecessors.
For HD325-8 and HD405-8 machines, KTCS is now standard. KTCS automatically applies independent brake assemblies to achieve optimum traction in varying ground conditions. Because the system operates without the need for differential lock-up, steering performance is not compromised.
Other new standard features for both models include a quiet 78 dB(A) cab, 7-in. LCD color monitor, dedicated rearview monitor, fast-fill fuel system, and a premium heated and ventilated operator’s seat with air suspension.
Tire size for the HD405-8 truck has been increased from 18.00 R33 to 21.00 R33, for extended wear properties.
“The updated truck models retained their industry leading steering performance and retarding capacity for maximum production,” said Rob McMahon, product marketing manager for Komatsu America. “The addition of Komatsu’s latest fuel saving technologies and the all-new cab, lower the cost to maximize production and significantly enhance operator comfort at the same time.”
Both models are covered by the Komatsu CARE program for the first three years or 2,000 hours, whichever comes first. The program lowers ownership costs, raises resale value, and improves equipment uptime and availability.
Komatsu America Corp., www.komatsuamerica.com
- New angled front access stairs with handrails are now standard for both sides of the machine.
- Tight turning radius with MacPherson strut front suspension.
- Hydropneumatic suspension system for a smooth ride.
- New Komatsu Traction Control System (KTCS) automatically provides optimum traction in all ground conditions without operator input.
- Komatsu Advanced Transmission with Optimum Modulation Control System (K-ATOMiCS) adjusts shifting performance according to demand for a more comfortable ride and reduced material spillage.
- Automatic Retard Speed Control (ARSC) automatically maintains a selected downhill travel speed (rather than engine RPM) that is appropriate for the grade.
- Enhanced Komatsu integrated payload meter (PLM) data is available on the machine monitor and remotely via the web.
- New ground level accessible battery box for easy maintenance.